Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Remmina connection problem

After the latest update on my Ubuntu 14.04 Remmina would not connect to one of my Windows computers. I remembered having had this problem before, but was not able to remember the solution. (Even though I knew the solution was a very simple one.)

So I started googling and after a while I found the very simple solution to this problem.



After updating the computer my SSL certificate had been changed, which resulted in Remmina trying to authenticate itself with an invalid certificate/key.

When Remmina tries to connect to the Win PC it uses the stored key in the file ~/.freerdp/known_hosts for authenticating itself to the remote computer.

Editing this file, by removing the key associated with the computer I tried to connect to, forced Remmina to ask my permission before accepting the other computer's key.

Steps to fix the problem: 

  1. Open the file: ~/.freerdp/known_hosts 
  2. Delete the key entry for the remote computer 
    • Alternatively you can delete the whole known_hosts file in .freerdp folder
  3. Connect to remote computer by accepting the remote cert/key. 

Very simple to do but unfortunately just as simple to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment